St. Francis GYN Oncology
St. Francis GYN Oncology
St. Francis Hospital, Butler Pavilion
2300 Manchester Expressway, Suite C001
Columbus, Georgia 31904
Gynecologic Surgery & Oncology
Gynecologic cancers are malignant (cancerous) tumors that arise in the female productive organs, including the cervix, ovaries, vagina or vulva. Women facing gynecologic cancers need specialized care and personal attention. Each year, approximately 82,000 women are diagnosed with cancers that attack their reproductive organs, the uterus, cervix, ovaries, fallopian tubes, vagina and vulva. Uterine cancer is the most common form of gynecologic cancer, and ovarian cancer is the most deadly.
Women facing gynecologic cancers who receive gynecologic oncology care are twice as likely to survive gynecologic cancers as other women.
Our gynecologic surgery and oncology program offers:
- Minimally invasive surgical options – This includes laparoscopic and robotic surgery, which allows treatment of complex problems with smaller incisions and shorter recovery times.
- Advanced/radical pelvic surgery – When needed, pelvic surgery may involve extensive debulking of cancer and reconstruction of pelvic organs and structures, including the intestines, urinary system and lymph nodes.
- Chemotherapy – We provide traditional intravenous chemotherapy as well as intraperitoneal (abdominal cavity) infusions, which have been shown to be very effective in treatment certain pelvic cancers.
- Familial risk assessment – Some cancer syndromes are more likely to be inherited. We provide a formal risk assessment for a woman and her family; cancer genetics education; genetic testing; and management plans for follow-up care and counseling.
Meet Dr. Gregory Sfakianos
Gregory Sfakianos, MD, a board-certified gynecologic oncologist, began practicing since Columbus in 2012. he graduated from the University of Alabama School of Medicine in 2005 then completed his residency in obstetrics and gynecology at UAB. He has earned board certification from the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Whenever possible, Dr. Sfakianos uses minimally invasive techniques to treat women with gynecological cancers, reducing blood loss, decreasing pain and speeding recovery. In fact, he is the first gynecologic oncologist in the Chattahoochee Valley region to be trained in robotic surgery techniques, utilizing the da Vinci Robotic Surgical System at St. Francis Women's Hospital.
Dr. Sfakianos works with surgeons specializing in cancer treatment at the St. Francis Center for Surgical Care. Together, this team brings women the latest in diagnostics and most comprehensive cancer care possible.
For more information: 706-243-4594. We take a patient-centered approach to providing women with the most sophisticated diagnostic and treatment techniques available.
- Columbus Clinic
- Cardiothoracic and Vascular Institute
- Center for Digestive Disorders
- Center for Surgical Care
- Chattahoochee Valley Cardiology
- Ear, Nose and Throat
- GYN Oncology
- Interventional Pain Management
- OBGYN Associates
- OBGYN Physician Partners
- Orthopaedic Institute
- Spine Center
- St. Francis Urgent Care Midtown