Hand therapists are Occupational or Physical Therapists who specialize in treatment of the upper extremity through advanced clinical training, continuing education and integration of knowledge of anatomy, physiology, kinesiology, and exercise science. At St. Francis Hospital, our Occupational Therapists are Certified Hand Therapists (CHT’s) or therapists working toward their CHT certification. This credential assures that the therapist has achieved the highest level of competency in the field of Hand Therapy. At St. Francis, our therapists work alongside skilled, fellowship-trained physicians to provide comprehensive and customized care to all clients. Some of our services include:
- Evaluation and treatment of disorders of the upper extremity (hand, wrist, and elbow) including:
- traumatic injury, elective surgery, chronic ailments and diseases, and overuse injuries.
- Fabrication of custom made orthoses for protection and immobilization of injury site, decreased pain, and increased function.
- Wound care and scar management
- Edema control
- Assistive technology and activity modification training for increased participation in self-care, household, and work tasks.
- Injury prevention programs
- ASTYM (Augmented Soft Tissue Mobilization): an evidence-based rehabilitation process designed to effectively treat chronic tendon disorders, scar tissue, and fibrosis by stimulating the body’s natural healing response.
- Application of modalities such as ultrasound, iontophoresis, phonophoresis, electrical stimulation, and other superficial heat modalities to aid in the recovery process