A variety of surgical procedures are provided by general surgeons at St. Francis. These physicians have specialized knowledge and experience related to the diagnosis, preoperative, operative, and postoperative management of diseases and abnormalities of the following areas of the body:
- Alimentary tract, including the esophagus, stomach and intestines
- Abdomen and its contents, including the appendix and gallbladder
- Breast, skin, and soft tissue
- Head and neck, including trauma, vascular, endocrine, congenital and oncologic disorders - particularly tumors of the skin, salivary glands, thyroid, parathyroid, and the oral cavity
- Endocrine system, including thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal, and endocrine pancreas
- Surgical oncology, including removal of tumors
- Comprehensive management of trauma, including musculoskeletal, hand, and head injuries. The responsibility for all phases of care of the injured patient is an essential component of general surgery.
Some general surgery procedures can be formed using the da Vinci Robotic Surgical System.