- How do I apply for the Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) program?
Visit the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education website at ACPE.edu and download a pdf or Word version of the application.
- Go to www.acpe.edu
- Go to Resources
- Go to Forms
- Go to Application
- Download an ACPE application in .pdf or Word format.
There are two additional forms you’ll need to include with your application:
When you have completed all three, send them, along with a $25 application fee, to:
St. Francis Hospital
Chaplain Services Department
Clinical Pastoral Education
2122 Manchester Expressway
Columbus, GA 31904
After receiving your application, we will contact you to confirm that we have it. Depending on your qualifications, we will determine whether to proceed to an interview.
- Go to www.acpe.edu
- What are the requirements for the CPE program at St. Francis?
All applicants must demonstrate:
- The ability to function in a pastoral care role
- Being motivated by challenges and personal growth
- Willingness to be a contributing member of a small peer group
- The capacity to be a team member
- The ability to support persons of diverse religious traditions
- The ability to communicate professionally
Additional Criteria for Residents
- Must provide evaluations from previous CPE units or supervised ministry
- Graduate level education
- Do I have to travel to St. Francis for my interview?
All CPE interviews are conducted on-site. However, we understand that sometimes it is not possible to have a face-to-face interview. In those situations, a telephone or web interview may be scheduled.
- What are the dates and deadlines for applications?
We receive applications throughout the calendar year. Interviews typically take place two to three months before the start of a unit.
- What are the costs and are scholarships available?
Tuition is $400 per Internship unit, $200 per unit for Residents.
Residents receive a stipend of $2,500 per month and may be eligible for other St. Francis benefits.
At this time we do not offer scholarships.
All CPE students are subject to the policies and procedures of St. Francis Hospital and the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education.
- What are the upcoming dates for the program?
There are generally three units of CPE offered each year. The actual dates may vary. The spring unit runs early January to mid-May. The summer unit begins late May and runs through the end of August. The fall unit begins in mid-September and runs through mid-December. Please contact the Chaplain Services Department at (706) 660-6091 for more information about the program.
- Do I need to be ordained in order to work in this field?
You do not have to be ordained to be admitted to our CPE program. However, each CPE center has specific requirements regarding ordination as a prerequisite.
The Clinical Pastoral Education program at St. Francis Hospital is accredited for Level I and Level II training with the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc. (ACPE, Inc.)
The ACPE, Inc. is a nationally recognized accrediting agency in the field of clinical pastoral education by the U.S. Secretary of Education, through the U.S. Department of Education.
ACPE is a multicultural, multifaith organization devoted to providing education and improving the quality of ministry and pastoral care offered by spiritual caregivers of all faiths through the clinical educational methods of Clinical Pastoral Education.
For more information, please read the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) section under Resources on the ACPE website.